Just for fun...

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Be informed



http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

I need to become a more informed consumer! I think its important that we know where the products we purchase come from. Am I drinking an amazing cup of joe? or am I drinking an amazing cup of joe that the hands that farmed the beans to make my amazing cup of coffee are the hands of a dying man cause he can't get paid a fair wage for his product? Did my coffee come from a farmer that slaves his whole life away, not able to support his family and because of that his children can't get an education let alone nutrition to live a normal healthy life? Am I drinking a product that through the process of production the farmers are getting poorer and the middle man keeps getting richer? What am I consuming?
Buy fair trade coffee... and look into the other products you consume. . .

3 Comments:

At 8:45 AM , Blogger Steph said...

Thanks for inviting me to go. I have been thinking about it a lot now too...

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger Adriane said...

i know of a person who can hook you up with coffee from thailand that goes to fund little girls being able to stay with their families (meaning they won't be sold into being a sex slave)...let me know if you want more info!

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I saw this about a year and a half ago in the UK and loved it. There is something so powerful about the choices consumers make. Interestingly, I requested that my local grocery store provide more fair trade coffee/tea this week. And although the person I spoke with had no idea what fair trade was, they were happy to put in a request for me. Just ask. If fair trade products are in demand, store will stock it because it IS available.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home