Just for fun...

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

AMBULATORY

I'm often confused by the word "ambulatory". I just don't' get it. I daily drive by a sign for a foot doctor that says something like "ambulatory care". I at first thought, "an emergency foot and ankle care place". NOPE. The word ambulatory means "of, pertaining to, or capable of walking". Examples: an ambulatory tribe... means not stationary... a moving tribe. An ambulatory patient means a patient not confined to a bed, strong enough to walk. Ambulatory clinics are clinics that you can walk in to, no appointment necessary. It just is a word that confuses me....

5 Comments:

At 5:56 PM , Blogger Janel said...

So, is a hair salon that takes walk-ins an "ambulatory hair salon?" I did not know this word's definition either. See, this is why I need to memorize the dictionary. I tried once, but only made it to abacus.

 
At 11:15 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

That's like here in the UK we've had to learn "a fortnight" (meaning 2 weeks from now), "all right?" (for hello, how are you?), or cigarettes are called fags.

 
At 7:32 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Thats how it was when I was in Ireland... I kinda loved the words they used. :)

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

You should come back, but come visit us instead.

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

We could have a fortnigh holiday...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home